Hurt on the job? Work-related accident that led to an injury? You’re not alone. Millions of Americans get injured on the job each year. If this is you, you’ll need to look at work accidents lawyers as soon as possible. 

If you received injuries on the job, you’re entitled to workers’ compensation. You may already be aware of this, as most all employers require this workers’ insurance. However, did you know that you may also be entitled to a personal injury lawsuit? 

If you’ve suffered a work-related injury or illness, you need the professional guidance of a work injury lawyer with experience in this field. At Jones Legal, Inc, we have the resources to help you get the most from your work-related injury. Our goal is to help you obtain the compensation, treatment, and rehabilitation you need to recover to the fullest extent.

Riverside Workplace Accident Attorney Fights For You

You need an attorney that will fight for your rights, get you just compensation, and get you back to work as soon as practicable, without dragging out your case for an unreasonable amount of time.

California Work Accidents FAQs

As an injured worker, you have legal rights that are already established. Your employer must carry workers’ compensation insurance in the event of such work-related injuries. You, as the worker, have a right to file a workers’ compensation claim with your employer. You also possess the right to file a work injury lawsuit against any liable party that doesn’t carry workers’ comp. 

As part of the workers’ compensation insurance, you also have the right to seek medical treatment following the injury. If your care provider clears you and gives you permission to return work, you have the right to do so. You also have the right to some kind of disability compensation given the fact you are unable to return to work, either temporarily or permanently.

If you disagree with a decision made by your employer, their lawyers, or their insurance company, you have the right to appeal that decision. Most importantly, you have the right to your own legal representation.

Under California Labor Code Section 3700, all employers located in California must provide workers’ compensation benefits to their employees. This insurance requires that employers pay at least a portion of the injured party’s regular wages while they recover from their injuries. This usually falls somewhere around two-thirds of the average salary. If your employer fails to provide state-mandated coverage in the event of a work-related injury, they may get hit with lawsuits, fines, or even criminal charges. 

You should always report your injury as soon as possible. California provides a 30-day time limit for reporting a work-related injury. If you fall out of this 30-day limit, your employer may be able to get around providing these workers’ comp benefits. This might not always be the case, but it’s always better to be safe rather than sorry. 

The 30-day time period begins the day the injury occurs or at least when you realize the injury was work-related. It is best to report the injury or illness as soon as you can to avoid infringing on this time limit. 

If you get injured on the job, you know you’re covered by workers’ compensation insurance. But what about if the injury occurred outside of work? Can your employer fire you then? 

When you sustain an injury outside of work, you don’t have the safety net of filing a workers’ comp claim. You aren’t completely out of luck, though.

If you are eligible, you'll have coverage under the Family and Medical Leave Act. California enforces the FMLA, which allows employees to take unpaid leave for a certain amount of time and under certain conditions. It then allows them to return to their place at work after the 12 weeks is up. You may qualify for FMLA rights if you:

  • Work at a company with at least 50 employees within a 75-mile radius
  • Have worked for the company for at least 1 year
  • Worked at least 1,250 hours for the company in the previous year

The FMLA allows employees the right of up to 12 weeks of leave for serious health conditions. It's most often used for new mothers taking maternity leave, but can also apply to serious personal injury claims. 

If your injury persists for longer than 12 weeks, there is no guarantee that you’ll be able to keep your job. You should take steps to protect yourself in this case. If the injury wasn’t your fault, you may be able to file a personal injury claim. This may help to cover lost wages and expenses while you’re unable to work. 

If your injury prevents you from working at all for over a year, you might qualify for federal disability insurance. Contact an attorney to learn of your options.

If you suffered a work injury or illness, you need an experienced work injury lawyer on your case. Without the proper legal representation, you may be in danger of having your benefits minimized or your claim denied altogether. Many insurance companies will offer the least amount in settlement money without legal expertise to contest it. You need someone who’s familiar with insurance companies and employers and how they handle work injury claims.

Contact the Work Accidents Attorneys at Jones Legal Team

At Jones Legal, Inc, we know work injury claims through and through. We’re able to navigate the workers’ compensation system to ensure you take full advantage of the benefits you’re entitled to. If you’ve received a work-related injury or illness in the Riverside area, contact our skilled California lawyers today. Give us a call at 951-742-7213 or contact us for a free consultation.